a newborn baby

Lydia's Baby Son



I got to meet this precious little baby a few weeks ago.  He is the first child of Lydia, one of my college roommates, and her husband.



This little guy wasn't sure he wanted to enter the world.  It was 9 days past his due date, and even after inducing labor he took 27 hours to decide it was time to enter the world. :)



In Taiwan, it is customary for moms to take a month long rest (作月子) after giving birth.  She is confined to one room and does as little as possible--including not bathing (some wash their hair with rubbing alcohol and allow for sponge baths). 



According to what I've been told, the new mom is waited on hand and foot while her main job is to rest, heal, and take care of her little one.  She is excused from all duties and responsibilities.  It is not uncommon to take the month long rest in a special facility just for new mom's, but my friend went back to her childhood home where her mom and sister took care of her.

She eats special foods--including a special "drunken chicken" soup (ie. cooked with rice wine)--and there are several other taboos to avoid and customs to follow during this month long rest.



So, all of that to say, my friend's son was born on January 22, and I got to meet him on February 23.  He was so little and so tiny.  I'd forgotten just how small one month old babies are.



What a blessing!!!  I look forward to watching him grow into a man after God's own heart.



Baby Lee



"Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward" (Psalm 127:3).





4 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful baby. Thanks for sharing these wonderful pics. This is my first visit here but I will be back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful - and what a lovely idea
    I visited my friend is hospital here (in Finland) today. Her daughter is 3 days old. They are hoping to go home TOMORROW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! It's been a LONG while. Just thought I'd stop by and say hi to you. It was great to read about you again :)
    The strawberries (and the sunshine!) looked sinfully great... Our weather today was grey with sleeting. Again... No strawberries for us until in about four months!
    (trying not to slobber too badly...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! January 22nd is my birthdate also!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...