valentine's day

21600867
Some jokingly call it National Single's Awareness Day.  But, living in Taiwan, I don't really have the full impact of the holiday like those of you in America do.  Sure people know it is V-day, and yes young dating couples will go out tonight, but I am not reminded everywhere I go that I am alone once more on a lover's holiday.



Last year, I took a personal retreat right at this time.  It was such a good experience I decided to make it an annual tradition.  This year, however, things will be a little different.  I leave tomorrow morning to another country for a little over a week, so I am spending V-day cleaning and packing.  I do hope though that I get to spend some of my time in the other country alone with God, reflecting on the past and praying about the future. 



It is only a focus on God, the lover of my soul, on days like this that allow me to keep going.  By focusing on Him and His grace, on Him and His work in my life, on Him and Him alone can I prevent days like today from becoming pity parties. 



Because I promise you, on days like today the enemy is actively whispering in my ear lies of deceit.  And the only way to ward off the envy and self-pity is to take my eyes off of me and what I don't have and place them on Him, all that He is, and begin to count my blessings.





And remember: "don't be wishing you were someplace else or with someone else. Where
you are right now is God's place for you. Live and obey and love and
believe right there. God, not your marital status, defines your life" (the Message's paraphrase of part of 1 Corthians 7).



I wish all of you a very Happy Valentines Day!!



2 comments:

  1. Amanda, I hope you have a very good trip and an enjoyable time away. Thank you for the Valentine wishes.
    Valentine's Day for me has always been more about telling friends how much I appreciate them than about the romance associated with this day. Yes, I love my husband very much, but we've focused more on love for our family and friends on this day and save our special romantic times for our own little special anniversaries throughout the year.
    Happy Valentine's Day to you, Amanda, my faraway friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy (late)Valentine's Day!! I always think it would have been good for me to have had an attitude like yours while I was single!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...