happy thanksgiving

When I was depressed, I was numb.  I felt nothing--I wasn't sad; I wasn't happy; I wasn't angry.  I just had no feelings at all.  When I was coming out of depression last spring, thankfulness was the first emotion I felt.  I rememeber it very clearly.  Some stanger helped me find the room I needed--in fact it was her job (she worked at the help desk)--and thankfulness flooded my heart.  I remember thinking, "wow, so this is what thankfulness feels like."  I celebrated the fact that I had an emotion--it was a powerful moment.



Psalm 107:22 says "And let them offer sacrifices of thanksgiving, and tell of his deeds in songs of joy!"  Psalm 50:23 says that "The one who offers thanksgiving as his sacrifice glorifies [God]."  Scripture
even commands us to "offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving."  We are
to enter his gates and come into his presense with
thanksgiving;  we are commanded to "magnify him with thanksgiving" and "proclaim
thanksgiving aloud, and telling all [His] wondrous deeds."  Paul tells us we should be  "giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ."



But a thankful heart--one that is always offering the sacrifices of thanksgiving to the Lord for everthing--does not come naturally.  It is like the proclaimation signed by Abraham Lincon in 1863 says:

To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature, that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever watchful providence of Almighty God.

I like Thanksgiving.  I like that we, as a nation, set apart one whole day  "as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens" and offer "up the ascriptions justly due to Him" for "the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy."



But, as I begin to list the things I am thankful for . . . I begin to realize--all over again--that it is a a list that never stops.  Everything I have and all that I am is because of God, who He is and all He has done.  I have nothing, am nothing, without Him.  Tokens of divine grace fill my everyday, and I take them for granted since I am constantly enjoying them. I am prone to forget their source.



I am not going to list here all the things I am thankful for because the list would be OH SO HUGE. I'll keep that list in my paper journal.  But, I will be back tomorrow to list the answers to prayers that I have seen in this past year so far.



Happy Thanksgiving (even if I am a day late in telling you on my time)!!



Thanksgiving




1 comment:

  1. A happy and blessed Thanksgiving to you too.
    i don't think they celebrate Thanksgiving in Taiwan, so how did you celebrate?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...