my 爸爸

Me and my Daddy



You will have to work long and hard to convince me that my 爸爸 (pronounced baba, daddy) is not the best dad in the world.  (In other words, he is.) :)



I love my daddy with my whole heart.  He is one amazing man. 



One of the things I admire most about my father is that he is man enough to admit he is wrong.  Now, it doesn't happen often--that he is wrong, I mean--but when it does, he admits it and asks for forgiveness. 



I remember back in high school, my sister competed in track and basketball.  I, on the other hand, was into journalism and peer leadership programs.  My dad was able to go to Sarah's games and track meets.  He cheered her on and even kept score for the team.  I was jealous.  I wanted his attention too.  I told my mom about how much it hurt me that Daddy spent more time with Sarah because she was into sports, how he gave all his time and attention to her, but wouldn't even ask me about my activities.  You know what my wise mother told me?  "You have to tell him.  He doesn't know you feel this way."



So, I told him.  Right then he admitted that he had no idea I felt that way.  I told him that I understood that he couldn't come cheer me on as I designed the yearbook or tutored younger kids, but I would like for him to at least show interest in the things that I did.  He said he was sorry.  BUT, that is not the end of it.  Within the next week, he came to me and asked me specifically "so, how was peer leadership today?"  Oh, me and my daddy have had numerous conversations, but that is one I will never forget.  It's always been that way with him.  He doesn't just say "sorry" . . . he actually changes his behavior too.  Now that is a real man.



Another thing I admire about him is the way he loves his wife.  Once, my sister was having a disrespectful teen moment (like we all have had). While she was in the midst of yelling at our mom, our dad came into the living room and said, "you will not talk to my wife that way.  Go to your room now."  Mom, Dad, Sarah--they've all forgotten that moment.  But, I never will.  The fact that he choose to say "my wife" and not "your mother" spoke volumes to me at that moment. 



I also like that they are not afraid to show their affection for each other in front of us.  They love each other, and it shows.  I like that a lot.



I love the way my dad crafts words.  He is a wordsmith.  He is not "chatty"--so when he does speak, trust me, it is worth listening to.

My dad studies to prove himself as one who accurately handles the Word of Truth (2 Timothy 2:15).  He knows what he believes and knows why he believes it, but he not close-minded--a rare and delicate balance.  He is not afraid to think outside the box or to challenge the status quo. 
My dad was not only my dad but also my pastor for the first 20 something years of my life.  Have you ever had one pastor that long?  Well, let me tell you, after having an excellent pastor that long it is really, really hard to find another one that meets the standard the first one set.



I love that my daddy will take time to spend with me and talk with me.  He values me and my opinions.  I love that he will share with me the things he is thinking about and pondering.  When I went home for my sister's wedding, I didn't really get to spend much time with him, but I rode home from the D/FW area to the Austin area with him in his truck.  While we were talking, he accidentally missed a turn and added an hour to our trip--I'm glad he did.  It gave me one more hour of alone time to talk to my daddy. 



Actually, me and my daddy are quite a bit alike.  And, I like that too. 



If I didn't know differently, I would like that he was the one who hung the moon.  I know my father is not perfect.  I know he has flaws, but as far as earthly fathers go, I really, really love, admire, and respect mine more than mere words can express.



Below are two pics of me and my daddy from approximately 26 years ago:






sarah, manda, and daddy (1980)  Pic_dad2



Happy Father's Day, Dad!!  I love you.




4 comments:

  1. Wow!!! What a wonderful Father's Day gift. I don't deserve it, but I gladly receive it. It has been and continues to be, a very special blessing to have you as "a gift from God." My heart swells with pride when I have the opportunity to tell people about my children. Especially when I tell others about you, I start with, "My oldest daughter is a College Professor in Taiwan." The list goes on as I embellish the accomplishments, characteristics and character of my children, it makes my heart smile.
    Thank you for such a wonderful post as a gift, but most of all, thank you for being such a beautiful daughter. I love you dearly and I do miss the times together where we can brainstorm outside the box.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's lovely, Amanda. What a wonderful tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praise God for our wonderful earthly fathers! =) thanks for sharing Amanda, for this very touching post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh.... trust me, I so remember the time dad told me not to talk to his wife that way! I too will never forget that moment, it spoke to me also, however at the moment I was not so happy he told me that... and thank you for putting into words how WONDERFUL of a dad we have, he truly is amazing beyond so many words and I love him with all my heart! He is such a precious blessing from God and I love our daddy!! -Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...