what!?! 29 already??

I glanced at my doctor's computer screen as he was talking.  Lots of yellow and green Chinese characters on a black screen--a list of patients for today, I surmised.  One column had ages--again, surmising.  I scanned the column quickly . . . 45, 70, 67, 29, 80, 19, 22, 54, 31 . . .



I didn't see 28.  Hmm, maybe I surmised wrong.  Maybe they are numbers of something else.  So, I went back to paying attention to the doctor and our conversation.



He goes to write out the prescription on the computer and clicks the line with 29.  I glance to the left of the 29--sure enough!  There is MY Chinese name!! 



29?   What!?!  How can that be!?!  My 28th birthday was only yesterday! 



But, the form for the medical records was "gotten" from my official government health insurance card so 29 is my "official age."



Then I remember . . . "oh! that's right, many Asian cultures count the time that we are spent being woven together in the workshop of the womb as a year of life." 







Now I am in a state of shock. 



Thursday I was 27. 



Today I found I am 29.



I thought I had another whole year before I had to contemplate turning 30.



Guess not.








You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother's womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvelous – and how well I know it.   You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb.  You
saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your
book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed. (Psalm 139: 13-16, New Living)



12 comments:

  1. hi Amanda, i subscribe to your prayer letters. it's so good to visit your blog and read your encouraging reflections and about life in Taiwan. God bless!
    joyce
    ps - yes, it's interesting how Chinese count the 9 months in the womb as a year and how that implies life at conception, which unfortunately, many do not believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a riot! Sounds like when I turn 39 this summer I better stay away from Taiwan. I don't want to be 40 any earlier than I have to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeap!! I found out that I am younger in North America.:P
    You are 30 now becuase Taiwanese people think that the ages of: 9, 19, 29, 39, 49, 59, 69, 79, 89. ......are not "lucky" ages for them so they would add another year onto their age..
    So when I was 19 (in Chinese age). I am not allow to tell people that I am 19. I have to say that I am 20.
    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Claire, that is right!! I remember my students doing that when they turned "19."
    I'm sorry . . . but if 29 was a shock . . . going from 27 to 30 in a matter of days is just too much to handle!
    In this matter, whenever it is up to me, I will say 28. THEN, people here will think I am really 27. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm . . . Janna . . . this means you are already 40. Can't be 38--you are already 39 in "Taiwanese years" . . .but can't say 39.
    So, you are 40 now and 40 for a whole 'nother year before you are ever really 40 in "American years"!!
    AHHH!! Can I go home now?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyce: Thanks for stopping by and commenting!! I remember conversing with you a few years ago via email! It's good to hear from you again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. =) your blog is wonderfully refreshing and encouraging. so glad you have one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How awesome is that - that the time in the womb is counted! Thanks for sharing that, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is interesting! I had never heard that before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the story! That would be shocking, but not as shocking as when you hit 40 and the dr's all start saying things like, "Now at your age, you should really....yadda yadda yadda" That is shocking!! lol
    Christie

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is hilarious Amanda! I had a friend once who found out she was actually a year younger (her mom wanted her to start school earlier so she could go back to work and lied on her registration). She was born in Lebanon and it wasn't till her dad mailed her birth certificate to her that she found out! Of course, that might be a nice surprise lol.
    I do think it's neat that they count the time in utero - it should count! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Blair, your post got a smile out of me! That would surely be a shock to me! But, what is age - only a number. We are only as old as we feel. Actually, it should be 'only as old as we let ourselves feel'. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...