the truth, the whole truth, nothing but the truth

Hmmm . . . no one guessed the right answer to this post.  Like Bethany, I included truth in most of them, but changed just a little to make them fiction.  It's kinda funny the three almost trues were all guessed, but the total truth one and the total lie one both were not. :)



1. I have been to Hong Kong, Japan, Mainland China, and Thailand, but never Mexico.  And, I claim both Taiwan and Texas as "home."
This one is almost all true except that I have never been to Thailand.  Thailand and Korea are both on my "would love to visit list."  This one was sneaky of me--sorry. :)



2. My sister and I knew my mom was going to have a son before she did--we were 13 and 15 years old when he was born.
Again, almost true.  My brother was born when I was 15 and Sarah was 13.  I had started to pray for a brother long before my mom was pregnant; Sarah joined me.  When I decided to tell my mom about our prayers, she got quite upset at me and said very sternly, "never pray things for others without asking them first!!"  I still remember exactly what we were doing at that moment--peeling potatoes together in the kitchen.  When I told her, she thought she was going through early menopause but actually she was pregnant with Sam! 



The two sonograms done both indicated Sam was a girl.  Sarah insisted that he was a boy because we had prayed for a brother.  Mom picked out a girl's name "Victoria Paige" (meaning: one who announces victory) and bought lots of pink things.  When the baby entered the world, the doctor announced he was a boy--mom actually told the doctor, "no he is not.  I am having a girl!"  Anywho, after talking about names Samuel Joe Austin was decided on.  We had been referring to the baby all along as Baby Sammy.  Later Dad looked up the meaning of Samuel.  It means "God hears."  Perfect!   



3. Right after I got my driver's license, I drove through our family's garage door--leaving a large gaping hole.
This really did happen.  It just happened before I got my license.  I was 15, my mom was 8 months pregnant, and Dad was out of state on his annual fly-fishing trip.  I freaked out as I sat there with the car's hood still 1/2 in the garage with the door staring right at me.  Mom just said, "stop being so emotional.  put it in reverse and get out of the car. you have to tell your dad."  To this day, I do not know how she remained so calm.  We called Dad,  mom talked first.  When I got on the phone he said, "So, I hear you put a new window in the garage door, what happened?"  I then gave further details.  I don't remember his exact words, but they were calming and comforting and ended with something like "don't worry its ok; I will take care of it when I get home."  And he did.  I don't remember it being talked about again, except to tease me later.



4. Just for fun, I was a competitive barrel racer when I was in college--competing mostly at the Mesquite Championship Rodeo in the Dallas Area.
This one?  Total lie.  Well, when I was in kindergarten I did compete in a barrel race but that was on a stick horse for my class rodeo.  I even had cute red cowgirl boots and a brown cowgirl hat. 



5. I once fought with my sister (when we were tweens) so loud that the neighbors actually called the police who came to our house to see if we were being abused.
So, through the process of elimination this one must be it, right?  It is.  This one is all truth!  Sarah and I had had a bad week or two--fighting all the time.  For some reason, mom and dad both needed to be gone on a Saturday.  So, we were home alone.  Mother had warned us that if we didn't get along while she was gone we would never see light of day again.  So, what did we do?  We fought tooth and nail and as soon as she was gone.  Sarah admits to starting it--she pulled the computer chair out from underneath me when I went to sit down, and from there we fought screaming and yelling, pushing and slapping around the entire house for about 30 min to an hour even maybe.  Of course it ended in tears, forgiveness and "I'm so sorry; you really are my best friend." 



Then BAM!  BAM!  BAM!  "POLICE!  OPEN UP!!"  They asked us lots of questions asking if we were ok, yelled into the house "anyone home?" and told us that our neighbors had called concerned for us and that if we needed help they could help us.  We were so scared mom was going to find out that we pledged never to tell ANYONE.  Well, we lasted a long time--we didn't tell anyone for at least 10-15 years about our "little secret" (and we told mom for the first in the presence of all her sisters).  We had to wait at least until we were old enough to not be grounded.  You see, Sarah and I kinda like the light of day. :)



7 comments:

  1. Actually, Sam's name was given by God. Lin Harris a member of our church had begun to ask the Lord how to pray for the new baby. The Lord gave her the name Samuel and she began to pray for baby Sam. Sam's middle name "Joe Austin" comes from his two grandfathers names. Praying for baby Sam did seems quite unusual since all of the medical indicators pointed to a girl. We never even considered a boys name until the eve of Sam's birth, and that was only because we were kidding around. We and the doctors knew it was going to be a girl. Suprise!!!! We were wrong and the Lord was right.
    Bye the way. I was able to see through your deception and knew that number 5 was the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dad for adding that part of story. I usually include that when I am telling the story in person, but felt the post was getting a little long. So, I am very happy that you added that important part of the story!!
    I also left out the part about yall telling me and Sarah about the baby on March 31st and then us telling everyone else on April Fools Day. I know some people didn't think we were telling the truth until Mom started showing.
    Yeah, you should know the truth . . . you are my Dad you know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow - this one was the last one I would have thought was true. That really was a hard one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The one about you and sister fighing is almost to funny for me.My sister Marian and I used to fight like cats and dogs when we were younger,now in our mature adult years we are best friends.35 years make a diffrence!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please keep in mind that I was VERY hormonal at the time Amanda told me about praying for a brother....I shouldn't be held responsible for the harshness of my words. It didn't take too long for me to come to grips with the surprise turn of events in my life and thank God for the wonderful surprise blessing of my son...even if I was/am mistaken for his grandma on occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That story about you and Sarah was SO SAD that I thought it couldn't POSSIBLY be true!!!!!!!!! LOLOLOL My sister and I (the married one with pics on my blog) did a similar thing of fighting when my parents were away and not telling them till we were too old to get into trouble. :) Howver, the police were never called and the neighbours never knew. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That would have probably happened to my sister and I if we had neighbors close enough! We were country girls. Her name was Amanda, incidently!!
    But now we get along marvelously! My mom always told me we would,"Just like me and your Aunt Diane," she would say. I never believed her because my sister seemed so much worse than my Aunt Diane, who I happened to adore! Funny...she was right!
    Guess mom's can be pretty smart. Too bad we don't figure it out until we are adults!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...