girlfriends!!

Earlier today I talked about needing different kinds of friends--mentors, mentees (is that a word?), and peers.  But really even within those groups we need different kinds of friends too!



We need friends who are great encouragers--we know that when we call them they will comfort us and encourage us.  But, we also need those friends who call it like it is, who look us straight in eye and confront us with truth in love.  We need some friends who are quite and gentle, and we need some friends who laugh loud, hard, and long.  Of course, those groups are not exactly mutually exclusive . . . but you get the point, right?



Aren't you glad that God is so creative when it comes to types of people He blesses us with?  I am!! :)



Here are a few of my girlfriends: 



Me and Ellen  Ellen
A friend since 1997 when she came from Taiwan to Texas.  I discipled her after she became a Christian (in 1998), and she has offered me continual loving support and encouragement ever since.  We were roommates for one semester in college. 



Me and Lydia  Lydia
I also met Lydia in 1997 when she also left Taiwan for Texas to study.  Lydia and I were roommates for a year.  She is one of the best listeners I have ever met!  She lets me just talk and talk and talk.



Me, Mary Agnes, and the Pastor's Wife  Mary Agnes
She has been a wonderful "Paul" to me in the last year.  Mary Agnes has been a missionary here in Taiwan for the past 11 years.  She is also a Flybaby and has held me accountable to meeting my goals this winter.  She also is a wonderful, wonderful encourager and always ends each conversation we have with prayer.  She also allowed me to be part of her family this past Christmas.  I could not have asked for a better friend for this season of my life.



Gilby, Me and Kady  Kady
Another perfect friend for this season of life, Kady.  Kady is a teacher at my school, we have presented a paper togther, and we are co-teaching a writing class together.  She is very generous of her time and her smiles too.  I told her recently that I am so glad that I don't have to earn my friends because I sure do not deserve her!



Corrina, the Girls, and Me  Corrina, Karen, and Christine
Corrina is yet another wonderful person that I have the privilage of calling friend.  I will have to tell the incredible God-incidnet that let me meet her another day.  Since 1999, she has opened her heart and her home to me in so many ways.  She is like the big sister I never had.  In addition, her daughters are some of the precious "little friends" I get to love.



Me, Karen, and Danette  Karen and Danette
Some more of the "Pauls" in my life; they both are missionaries in Meinong.  Karen (the taller one) became a friend last year when I was struggling with depression.  She was able to listen compassionately to me, translate what I was saying into real English and let me hear the lies I had been believing.  What a wonderful gift!  She truly was able to tell me the truth in love.  For her love and concern, I am eternally grateful.  Danette also welcomed me into her home and shared her family with me.  Unfortunately most of the time I lived near Danette, I was suffering from depression.  So, even though I was not a good friend back to her, she continually met my needs--both as a friend and prayer partener and in serving, by offering things like helping me clean my new home and feeding me (usually American food) on a regular basis.



Me and LeAnn in 2000  LeAnn
My best friend in college.  LeAnn and I were roommates for two years while we were going to DBU.  When I was an exchange student in Taiwan, she came to see me during spring break (hence the 6 year old picture).  LeAnn is the friend I wrote about earlier.  She is everything I could ever want in a best friend--we are alike in so many ways but different in just enough that we compliment each other well.  Since college we haven't been as close as we were in college, but it only take a few minutes for us to get back into the groove of things when we meet again.



Little Friends  Samantha, Sophia, and Julia
Some special "little friends" from Texas.  These girls love on me and I get to love on them every time I go back home!  They are special to me, and it is fun to see them growing into little women in love with God.



Me and Sarah, My Sister  Sarah!
I look a lot like this friend.  I should.  She is my sister!!!  I love Sarah so much.  She has been my friend the longest--ok, I admit we have had our fair share of fights and heartwrenching misunderstandings--but no one could mean more to me as a friend than Sarah.  Sarah is so fun to be around!!  There is never ever a dull moment in her presence.  She makes me laugh till I cry.  She also helps me see things from new prespectives and gives me a different outlook on the issues in my life.



Me and Mom  Mom
Another friend I look a lot like!! :)  My mom.  My mom really is one of my best friends.  I am so incredibly blessed to have her as my mom and friend.  She is probably one of the only people in the world that I can tell anything and everything to and not fear being judged.  She has always been one of my biggest cheerleaders.  Like Sarah, she is fun to be around, makes me laugh, and offers me a new way of looking at the things in my life (you know, they are a lot alike).  I love my mom more than words can tell.



I am so glad these wonderful godly women are a part of my life!  I am blessed and thankful for your friendships!!



2 comments:

  1. Hey! Lovely to find your comment on my blog! Yes, I do indeed have PCOS and relying on the Lord to help me beat this with self-discipline and good habits! Nice to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amanda!
    I love seeing all the pictures of your friends. You're so blessed to be surrounded by so many special people. I especially enjoyed hearing about you and your mom! I've added you to my blogroll so I can keep up with your life in Taiwan. It's so interesting -- I'm definitely not in a season of life where I can travel much, so thanks for being my eyes and ears!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...