american english

I saw this over at Heather's place.  I took an entire class on "American English" in grad school.  Based on the questions this quiz asked, I turned out really "general" . . . but according to the prof of my class there is no such "general English" in existance. 



Anyway, I wonder two things:



  1. Has the fact that I teach non-native speakers of English and that I have studied linguistics changed the way I use "naturally" use English?


  2. How much of my English changes depending on the speaker I am conversing with? Sometimes I can "feel" the Texan slipping back into my accent when I land on the runway in Austin.














Amanda's Linguistic Profile:

80% General American English
20% Dixie
0% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern
0% Yankee







4 comments:

  1. If you've changed it has been just a small change...I scored 70% General and 30% Dixie....I thought sure it would be 100% Redneck Hick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took that quiz once and scored 90% Dixie. Thought ya'll like to know, bless your hearts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Bethany: 90% Dixie! WOW!
    @ mom: I bet I can guess which two we didn't do the same. the number of syllables in caramel and icing vs. frosting. I went the "both are ok" route (rhyming with out) way for those two. good to know I did not fall too far from the apple tree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe - I guess I am an 'odd-ball' in the group. Although from Germany my score was: 55% American, 20% Yankee, 15% Dixie, 5% Midwestern & 5% Upper - go figure...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...