terrified of whistling

Music_5 What sound sends shivers down your back, makes your heart beat faster, and speeds your breathing?  Is there a sound that strikes fear in your heart of hearts? 



Is it the sound of a sliver in the grass when you are gardening?  Is it the screeching of the brakes of the car right behind you?  Is it the scream of one of your children when they are in pain?  Is the sound of footsteps behind you in a dark parking garage late at night?



What about a praise song being whistled at dusk?  Would that sound strike terror in your whole being?  Would it give you goosebumps and make you fearful for the rest of the night?



If you are American, you are probably thinking right now that I am a little crazy saying that.  But, if you are Taiwanese, you know exactly what I mean. 



The sound of whistling after the sun sets is terrifying to the Taiwanese people who are lost.  They believe that hungry ghosts follow the sound of whistling much like a dog trails a scent in the woods.  Hungry ghosts are terrible, scary things in Taiwanese culture.  They bring curses and evils to people; they hunt for people to prey upon.  Thus, there is no whistling at night in Taiwan.



However, I often sing and hum when I am on my moped (those things don't come with radios--go figure).  When I dismount and walk in the underground parking garage towards the stairwell to my apartment, I tend to continue whatever I had been humming or singing by whistling--often enjoying the echo of the underground cement box and the sound of my voice.



If it is night, as soon as I do, I recall that whistling scares my neighbors.  Most of the time, I stop whistling and pray for my neighbors the rest of the way to my apartment.  Sometimes, I just change to singing and proclaim aloud the praise of the true God.  And, at other times, like tonight, I whistle louder, a proclamation that I do not fear the evil of this world.



The next time you catch yourself whistling at night, would you please remember the Taiwanese people and pray for their salvation? 



4 comments:

  1. I just read your about page and think you sound fascinating! I would love to know more about how you came to be in Taiwan in the first place...Like did you get your Master's specifically for this job...or did it just work out for you to get a job over there after you graduated.
    What made you want to go to Aisa in the first place? What kind of mission work do you do?
    Sorry about the twenty questions there...I just love missions and I love teaching...and it all sounds so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And yes, I will be praying for you and the people you are ministering to. God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Bethany, for the prayers!!
    Don't mind the questions at all . . . I have been wanting to move over and update my website, so this is a great time to start doing it. I started to answer your question in my posts today. I'll get to your specific questions soon. :)
    and ... thanks for being the first person to comment on my new blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear LORD,
    thank You so much for putting Amanda in Taiwan. thank You for her love for the Taiwanese and for her godliness to always think of the salvation of the people around her who don't yet know You, O Lord. it's so sad that the Taiwanese are afraid of whistling in the night because of the false gods and superstitions. Please send forth Your Word and break the chains of spiritual bondage on the Taiwanese and have them believe on Your Son Jesus so that they can have life eternal and experience the perfect love that casts out all fears. O Jesus we pray, amen.
    i'm praying for you Amanda. your blog helps me do that, i hope to meet you in person one day. i'm really touched that you've made so many sacrifices so the Taiwanese can come to Christ (my best friend is Taiwanese and currently in Tainan and i am Cantonese).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...